Will provide individuals the opportunity to develop practical, vocational, work skills whilst undertaking a wide range of work based activities caring for the livestock, poultry and small animals within Top Farm, in addition individuals will work on the allotment by creating and maintaining a Moon Gardening and No Dig approach that will enable Top Farm to be as self-sufficient as possible, but also allows us to reconnect with nature and reap the benefits of the holistic garden.
The service will facilitate creative and innovative work based opportunities for individuals in the following areas.
- Cleaning and Maintaining animal accommodation and enclosures (indoors and outdoors)
- Animal Feeding and Watering
- Animal handling and exercising of animals Animal health and wellbeing
- Donkey and Pony Care
- Stable cleaning and management
- Reptile care and handling
- Aquatic care
Sustainability Initiatives and Woodland Management
- Working on the allotment throughout the year planting, maintaining and preparing fruit and Vegetables and providing this to our resident animals
- Working with the poly tunnels growing plants traditionally as well as using hydroponics
- Growing without digging
- Composting and sustainable growing using available resources
- Building, planting and maintaining raised growing beds
- Maintaining the allotment and growing areas
- Working on and maintain our newly finished pumpkin patch (we also enter shows for our produce! Coming in 1st place for heaviest pumpkin at local village show)
Habitat and Conservation
- Planting of trees, maintaining and developing habitats
- Undertaking of habitat management on site within hedgerows, boundaries, Woodland and aquatic habitats.
- Creation and building of wildlife homes such as bird boxes, hedgehog homes and bug hotels
- Undertaking wildlife surveys and species monitoring using technology such as camera traps